Plant-based ricotta?! Who would have thought. This ricotta (in my experience) has been completely undetectable to my non-veggie friends. I can confidently say that this could fool anyone!
So, why plant-based cheese? What's the point if you can just eat the conventional kind? Here's a list of all the perks of ditching that dairy cheese:
1) You ditch the cholesterol, since cholesterol is only found in animal products.
2) You ditch the animal suffering, since baby cows are removed from their mother's immediately after the birth and sent to the veal industry.
3) You make an environmentally-friendly choice, since livestock and their byproducts account for at least 32,000 million tons of carbon dioxide per year, not to mention 51% of all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.
4) Cashews are packed with healthy fats and vitamins E, K, and B6, along with minerals like copper, phosphorus, zinc,magnesium, iron, and selenium.
Enough with the facts now – let's get onto this delicious recipe so you'll never think of "regular" dairy ricotta ever again!
RECIPE (1 serving, or 16 oz):
* 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in boiled water for 15 minutes
* 1/2 cup firm tofu
* 1/2 cup water, more or less depending on how thick you like it
* 1 tbs olive oil
* the juice of 1 large lemon
* 1 garlic clove or 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
* 1/8 tsp onion powder
* sea salt and pepper, to taste
Drain water from soaked cashews. Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or high-speed blender until it becomes a fluffy, smooth consistency.
And voila! Enjoy in your ziti or lasagna, or even on some toasted bread with fresh tomatoes and basil.